1966 serving cart

1966 serving cart

Design Richard Schultz, 1966
Aluminum, Steel, powder-coat, polyester mesh
Made in USA by Knoll

Schultz designed this collection in 1966 at the request of Florence Knoll, who wanted well-designed outdoor furnishings that would withstand the corrosive salt air at her home in Florida. Through the years, the 1966 Collection has earned a special place in the world of outdoor furniture and is considered a classic design for the garden. The 1966 Collection has also been chosen to be included in various museums, including the Permanent Design Collection of the Museum of Modern Art, New York (MoMA). The collection emphasizes exceptional durability and has been re-engineered to incorporate the best modern materials, including Teflon thread, powder coat paint and stainless steel.

The 1966 collection serving cart features a cast and extruded aluminum frame finished in highly durable weather resistant powder-coat in a variety of colors. The top is offered in a variety of materials in your choice of finish. The teak and fiberglass tops are 1" thick while the porcelain tops are .08" thick steel plate with a porcelain enamel layer. The wheels are cast aluminum with rubber tires and a differential axle. Glides are clear butyrate plastic. Please note that teak tops will oxidize over time if exposed to outdoor elements and will turn a silvery grey color.

23.5" w | 39" d | 26.25" h

$2,768.00 + plus shipping in the continental U.S.
(usually ships in 6-8 weeks)

Richard Schultz

After studying at Iowa State University and the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago, Richard Shultz joined Knoll in 1951 to work with Harry Bertoia. He also taught basic design at the Philadelphia College of Art, and had a one-man show of his sculpture at the MoMA. In 1992, Richard Schultz began his own furniture manufacturing and design company, Richard Schulz Designs in Pennsylvania where he and his son Peter have built an impressive line of outdoor furniture collections. Significant designs over the years include the Petal Table and 1966 series for Knoll which purchased the Richard Schultz company in 2012.
Hans Knoll, the son of a pioneer German furniture manufacturer, founded the Knoll company in New York City in 1938, one year after immigrating from Germany. He hired Florence Schust, a Cranbrook graduate who had worked for Gropius and Breuer, and the two were married in 1946. The next year, they opened a textiles division and showroom that was flanked with some of the worlds leading designers. Knoll would triumph thanks to impressive international contacts, gaining exclusive rights to the works of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and producing them to their original specifications. This included the 1929 Barcelona Chair. They also commissioned Eero Saarinen to design the now iconic Tulip chair, and hold the rights to Marcel Breuer’s seminal Wassily Chair. Artists such as Harry Bertoia, Jens Risom, and Isamu Noguchi would also collaborate with Knoll.
please configure
your selection below
quantity

$2,768.00

plus shipping